Knitted and fitted

Front ViewI made this top from a new Simplicity pattern 2364, which includes a number of different versions which are made from knitted material.   I wanted to make something that I could wear every day, at home or work.  This type of design is typically me.  I decided to use simple black fabric that would go with everything it also has a slight stretch.  An easy option you might think but this particular pattern relies on right and wrong side of the material very much and plain black does not have a right and wrong side, that was my stumbling point, the more I manhandled it the more it decided to curl up in protest at the edges.

The yoke is sewn onto the back, gathered and attached to the front under the armholes, I thought this was a lovely alternative to a traditional plain round neck.  The front section is folded through the centre to give a reinforced neckline which gapes slightly and can be teased into various different positions.

The material is extremely soft and comfortable to wear and quite flattering too.  I can see this becoming a favourite of mine, I also had enough material left to make something else 🙂

Advertisements

A little bit of extra detail

I am really getting through my old patterns now, it has saved me a fortune and while I am currently in the “learning” phase again it has been good to refer to my old favourites. Some I remember making years ago and some I don’t (probably didn’t emerge out of the wardrobe when they were finished).

Hem Detail

This design is part of a pattern for a dress which is altered, the same as the previous top I made. Again, I used a concealed zip in the back. As always bias tape was used on all the facings and I put a little added detail on the bottom to make it more interesting.

Front ViewThe material is very thin, so making the top was more of a challenge than I first thought, a few obstacles to overcome as usual, one of which was my first casualty in a long time, my sewing machine needle broke in the middle of my creative flow, I suspect it had a tussle with a pin that was hiding in the garment 🙂

Half a shift dress

Front viewThis top is made from the same pattern as the fully lined block shift dress, a slightly shorter zip is used and the pattern has a guide where the top should finish. The material has a embroidered detail on it which I thought was quite nice and a little less plain, it is also quite thin so the lining worked very well with it.

I have to say I found the top extremely strange to put together as the lining is attached to the material all the way round. I had to turn it inside out from the side and sew the side lining seams by hand later, (hand sewing isn’t really my thing), the further I take my creativity I realise that patterns aren’t always right or practical. On the plus side the concealed zip went in first time, oh happy days, less unpicking and more sewing this time 🙂Concealed \ip Time to move on once again….

Introducing my gorgeous daughter to the world of sewing

Side imageBaby doll top number two.

My daughter helped me with the fitting on the first top I made last week and expressed an interest in having one herself.  Buying clothes for a teenager is something I would no longer contemplate, having seen many items of clothing disappear into the bedroom never to be seen again. So it was a joyful and extremely proud moment to be asked to make her something, if it will be seen again is anotheFull front imager matter…..

Something for the day job

I decided to make something  I could wear for work.  The pattern Lisette 2059 came with a magazine, I found the material in a local shop for £3.  The garment in the pattern had long sleeves but I chose to put shorter sleeves on this one as the warmer weather is upon us. The front is plain with a coupBlouse Frontle of darts, the back is in four pieces with gathers running horizontally across the centre.Back View  The cut is bigger than I would normally wear and I took it in 1″ smaller than the pattern size too.

Just a little bit crazy

Gathered topI started this top last Monday, it was so easy to make, the front top section is gathered horizontally and the bottom section is gathered vertically. At this point in time I decided to make it sleeveless, I might unpick the bias tape on the armhole and put the sleeves in at a later date.Centre Detail