Windswept and interesting

What can I say……? I am ever so slightly windswept and the neckline on this dress is rather interesting.   Full FrontI haven’t really decided yet if this particular look is really me, my other half thinks it definitely isn’t “what about for a Saturday afternoon trip out somewhere nice”  I ask, “not with me” came the reply, “what about for the office, I think it has its place there”?!  Some will love it and some will hate it, for now I am sat on the fence.  Anyway, the pattern is Simplicity K2146 inspired by Project Runway, which incidentally was another freebie off Sew magazine a few months ago, if it’s free these things have to be tried.

Funnel sleeves complete with v-shape cuffs

Funnel sleeves complete with v-shape cuffs

I chose a twill medium weight fabric with a slight stretch, which was suggested on the pattern. The dress comprises a back concealed zip, two darts and a vent on the hemline. The front is made up of three fitted panels to give the shape around the top half and of course the unusual neckline, which is lined. The neck also has a facing on the inside (facings are not my thing) this one in particular doesn’t lie flat as the detail on the front is so heavy it tends to be insistent on trying to pop the facing out of the top.  Last but not least the funnel sleeves with a v-shaped cuff, we can’t forget those little beauties.

I found the dress, in general, easy to put together after the false start that was the three pieces that construct the neck.  I don’t think any garment would be complete for me if I didn’t have something that doesn’t really work and I have to unpick it and start again.

Three piece neckline

Three piece neckline

I shall leave you with a little taste of what is in store next, I have been doing a spot of multitasking this week, working on two garments at the same time (check me out) my next creation is ready for putting together now, after lengthening the trousers and sleeves by three inches, oh it is massive.   All will be revealed in my next post, all I will say is it definitely isn’t for the faint hearted.

Advertisements

Half a shift dress

Front viewThis top is made from the same pattern as the fully lined block shift dress, a slightly shorter zip is used and the pattern has a guide where the top should finish. The material has a embroidered detail on it which I thought was quite nice and a little less plain, it is also quite thin so the lining worked very well with it.

I have to say I found the top extremely strange to put together as the lining is attached to the material all the way round. I had to turn it inside out from the side and sew the side lining seams by hand later, (hand sewing isn’t really my thing), the further I take my creativity I realise that patterns aren’t always right or practical. On the plus side the concealed zip went in first time, oh happy days, less unpicking and more sewing this time 🙂Concealed \ip Time to move on once again….

Project Runway version two

Concealed zipProject Runway DressThis is the second dress I have made from the Simplicity Project Runway pattern K2588. I decided to choose the scoop neck without sleeves, again I used bias tape rather than facings. I also chose the flared skirt rather than the fitted one and this time it worked 🙂

The front has four pleats in the skirt and comprises of separate sections on the top to create the shape. The back also has four pleats in the skirt and two darts in the top. I put in a concealed zip (finally after matching 3 separate seams down the back, it took me a few attempts!) I finished the neckline after the zip was put in so ensure a neater finish on the inside.