The madness that is Vogue V8705

A front ViewIt feels like an age since I updated my blog, there has been a very good reason for it. I decided last month that I needed a challenge, having created a few tops recently from knitted fabric I felt the need for something a bit different that would give me something to think about and test my sewing skills. I shall share with you the journey that was Vogue V8705.Full Back View

It all started with 14 pattern pieces, each transferred into single, double, quadruple pieces of fabric of all shapes and sizes.  Initially it was quite straightforward until I had to attach one of the sections to another. Then I realised that each seam and the topstitching had to lie in the same direction or I would lose at least 2cm of fabric and the sections wouldn’t fit together.  Luckily I realised that very early on in the process and only had to cut out one new piece.

The most nerve-racking thing about doing a new project and something that is totally different is fear of the unknown, as the dress progressed some parts didn’t seem to have a purpose and I didn’t really know until it was finished if I had done something wrong!

Close up back view

The back has a concealed zip which to my surprise went in first time without a problem, given that I was working with knitted fabric and there was a seam through the middle I had to match, I presumed at least three attempts would be necessary.Full Front View

The sleeves gave much head scratching, these were attached and taken off four times, the straps were all sewn double thickness and had to be turned inside out and positioned in the correct places and adjusted to suit, then finally the majority of the topstitching had to be done, as well as the hem.

I can definitely say without a doubt, this garment has been the most exciting, nerve-racking and rewarding one to date, a huge smile spreads across my face every time I look at it.

Project Runway version two

Concealed zipProject Runway DressThis is the second dress I have made from the Simplicity Project Runway pattern K2588. I decided to choose the scoop neck without sleeves, again I used bias tape rather than facings. I also chose the flared skirt rather than the fitted one and this time it worked 🙂

The front has four pleats in the skirt and comprises of separate sections on the top to create the shape. The back also has four pleats in the skirt and two darts in the top. I put in a concealed zip (finally after matching 3 separate seams down the back, it took me a few attempts!) I finished the neckline after the zip was put in so ensure a neater finish on the inside.

Project Runway that escaped me

Armhole & YokeI finally finished my dress. This has been what seemed like an endless journey of ups and downs and much blood, sweat and tears. Sewing the bodice and the yoke was an experience in itself, all was going well and the end was in sight when to my horror the material didn’t suit the full skirt and subsequently made my lower half seem rather large. So back to the drawing board I went, zip was out, the bottom half was unpicked and turned into something more flattering then it had to be put back together again, matching seams, pleats and darts so it all looks just right. The zip finally went back in, the yoke was sewn again, hem was done and this is the finished article.