My latest addition to my ever increasing wardrobe is a lovely little dress made from delightful ever-so-stretchy animal print fabric from Abakhan Fabrics in Manchester. I have mentioned before, they have bargain bins in which an abundance of fabrics are sold off at ridiculously low prices (you cannot fault it, I can hardly keep away!)
I have made one or two garments recently from stretch knit so decided to go on the hunt for a couple more patterns. The one in question this time is Burda 6910, which includes a long and short sleeve top and a dress.
The construction was incredibly easy, all done and dusted within a week. Front and back sections, raglan sleeves (a big cheer for the raglan sleeves) and a neck facing. In recent months when sewing with any type of patterned fabric, I have tended to make a mirror image of the pattern piece, stick them together and lay the full piece on single thickness fabric. That way there is no room for slippage or stretches and there is less chance of it looking like a dog’s dinner when I’ve finished. The most testing part when making the dress (for me there is always a testing part) was the side gathers, where a piece of elastic was sewn down each side seam, into a space that was more than twice the length. Oh, what fun! Stretching elastic and sewing it to something without pins is no mean feat let me tell you, the elastic has a mind of its own and will only do what it wants whether you like it or not.
All’s well that ends well and the elastic finally gave in and I finished the dress. I am the cat that got the cream in my dress, I adore how it looks and it is so comfortable to wear with the gathers in just the right places to hide a multitude of sins!