Hey there, I’m sure you will be surprised to hear from me so soon, nothing for what seemed like an age and then two posts in the space of a few weeks, I have been on a sewing roll.
My latest addition to my ever increasing wardrobe is a lovely little dress made from delightful ever-so-stretchy animal print fabric from Abakhan Fabrics in Manchester. I have mentioned before, they have bargain bins in which an abundance of fabrics are sold off at ridiculously low prices (you cannot fault it, I can hardly keep away!)
I have made one or two garments recently from stretch knit so decided to go on the hunt for a couple more patterns. The one in question this time is Burda 6910, which includes a long and short sleeve top and a dress.
The construction was incredibly easy, all done and dusted within a week. Front and back sections, raglan sleeves (a big cheer for the raglan sleeves) and a neck facing. In recent months when sewing with any type of patterned fabric, I have tended to make a mirror image of the pattern piece, stick them together and lay the full piece on single thickness fabric. That way there is no room for slippage or stretches and there is less chance of it looking like a dog’s dinner when I’ve finished. The most testing part when making the dress (for me there is always a testing part) was the side gathers, where a piece of elastic was sewn down each side seam, into a space that was more than twice the length. Oh, what fun! Stretching elastic and sewing it to something without pins is no mean feat let me tell you, the elastic has a mind of its own and will only do what it wants whether you like it or not.
All’s well that ends well and the elastic finally gave in and I finished the dress. I am the cat that got the cream in my dress, I adore how it looks and it is so comfortable to wear with the gathers in just the right places to hide a multitude of sins!
Hi there, I have to admit my blog posts have been a bit thin on the ground of late. For some strange reason I’ve had very little to say, very unlike me! This blog post is another one for the Calico Laine bloggers network and as such the fabric I have used is from their website. This is the second time I have made this particular garment this month. I loved it so much I decided to make again, this time for my daughter.
The pattern is simplicity 1317, a variation of one top with longer length or cropped sleeves. On this version I chose double knit jersey in purple and slate (oh my, this fabric is so soft, I feel the need to keep stroking it). When I decided to make it again I had a brainwave and in a moment of madness thought that I would add a little something by way of felt numbers on the front (I really don’t know what comes over me sometimes). So I also bought a felt square in ash and the scene was set for garment number two.
The top in it’s entirety is a complete doddle to make, I could almost do it with my eyes shut. I didn’t even look at the instructions this time (check me out). The whole thing comprises, front, back, two raglan sleeves (oh how I love love love raglan sleeves), neck band, waist band and cuffs. The biggest and most nerve-wracking challenge was the felt numbers (which my daughter decided on herself). I created them on the computer, cut them out and transferred onto the felt, which I then had to sew onto the body of the top with shaking hand!
Once the sleeves have been sewn on to both front and back sections and seams are sewn, the neck band is then inserted. Now with this, the waistband and the cuff, there is a serious amount of stretch required and a technique all of its own when pinning one to the other, believe me lots of puckers will ensue if just the right amount of stretch isn’t accomplished, I have to admit we did have words on more than one occasion.
There isn’t really anything more I can say, I think the sweatshirt speaks for itself, simple yet equally adorable in it’s own comfortable, makes-you-want-to-lounge-around-house sort of way……
Gotta love it!