It’s a wrap

FrontHere we have another one of those patterns which seems ever so easy because there are very few pieces to put together. Not the case, I know from experience that these little beauties can be far more testing on the brain, which is why it has taken me over a month to complete it.  Having said that, many of you will know I do love a challenge and do not give up, I just tend to stray onto various other creations along the way, just to prove to myself that my sewing skills haven’t completely done a runner.Reverse

This fabulous pattern was pointed out by Kim from Sewing-Online.  She has dangled one or two patterns in my direction recently which she thinks are just my thing; I feel like I have my own fashion stylist, its fab!   This particular one is Vogue V1341 which I bought from their site.  Now, some of you might look at this dress and think nah, that’s not for me, whereas I saw the pattern and thought, wow I could add even more oomph by choosing just the right fabric to compliment it, bring on the animal print! This is stretch sateen bought from my favourite store in Manchester, Abakhan, I just adore it.

PatternOn to the construction, this is where it all gets a bit confusing.  The sizing has to be spot on because there are no side seams to take inches in.  In its entirety the whole thing consists of 6 pieces (excluding the lining), 3 of which are stuck together to create the strangest looking thing I have seen in a long time.  This creates the main body of the dress and one of the sleeves, the other sleeve is separate, as are the back yoke and another back section. Basically, it starts with many pleats and tucks, the main piece is then sewn to itself and the right sleeve is added on.  Simple, err no, I sat and pondered this bit for quite a while picking the pieces up and staring at them before reading the instructions again and again.  Right NeckFinally the light bulb went on (hallelujah) and we were on course once again.  I could see it taking shape almost straight away but there is always the fear with garments like this, that you could get to the end and it really doesn’t look right (and it’s game over).  When the body of the dress was done and both sleeves were on, the concealed zip was inserted, which runs almost diagonally up the back.  Then it was a case of adding more pleats to create the folds along the front.

Front close upThe lining, which is also stretch fabric, was a basic front and back shape with a strap creating the armhole on the right hand side.  This is sewn into the dress along the seam which lies across the front at an angle, this then creates more of a fold below the neckline.  The neckline needs a certain amount of teasing into place when the dress is on because there isn’t a definite edge. I felt the need to adjust the shoulder seam as the right sleeve wasn’t creating the angle with the dress as it should, it was more of a flop and the flop wasn’t working for me one little bit.  That in itself is one of the greatest elements about the fabric being so busy, I could make my own alterations and it still looks great.

There ya go, another dress for me to strut my stuff in.  I get so excited when I wear the garments I have made, I still can’t quite believe I can actually go out in the big wide world in clothes I have put together myself.  On the rare occasion that I do wear something from a shop people are now starting to ask me if I have made it myself, so my stuff can’t really be that bad, wahoo!

Advertisements