Following my recent creations which have very much steered towards party wear, I decided to make something for the day job once again. A couple of months ago I won a competition with one of my evening dresses and the prize was a gift voucher from Abakhan Fabrics (joy!). I headed straight for their Manchester store, with no particular creation in mind. More often than not I go into that shop and rummage through the bargain bins without an idea of what I will eventually make. Any how I came out with a bag full of fabric and only spent 3p (whoop!).
After sifting through my pattern stash I decided to continue the New Year with something easy, a skirt would do nicely (rolls on the floor laughing). One of the fabrics I bought was a fleece backed woolen fabric, perfect for a winter skirt. The fabric is black with a white check and it immediately caught my eye as something different for me as I do tend to make garments out of plain fabric.
The pattern is burda 7135, which comprises of a suit with two different jackets and a fully lined skirt. Like I said I decided to sail on the easy side of things and make the skirt (haha). The construction was very simple, when I started it I thought I would complete it within a couple of hours, that may have been the case if I hadn’t decided to use checked fabric (oh yes indeedy, let’s not forget the fabric I bought). The front comprises of a centre panel and two side panels, the back is the same including two vents. Now the one thing that in my opinion made this little project a total nightmare for me was matching the checks. I made sure when cutting out each piece they lay in exactly the same position, to ensure the fit didn’t lose dimension (I have sewn large checks before and the garment almost ended up on the diagonal trying to match the pattern).
On with the sewing. If I made the skirt once and unpicked it I made it a million times (slight exaggeration, but it certainly felt like a million times!) As soon as Mrs Perfectionist made her appearance, I didn’t stand a chance and my critical eye had a field day. I decided enough was enough and carried on regardless, inserting the side zip and creating the lining, which was attached to the top. I did the usual hand stitching on the inside, securing the lining to the vents and stitched the hem in place and there it is job done. I only hope I make friends with it one day, for now all I can see are the imperfections. I am determined to beat my battle with checked fabric at some point in the future, for now though the remainder of this fabric will stay hidden away in my sewing room.
Finally, I will draw your attention away from those checks and mention the lovely little scarf I am modelling. This was a gift for me made by my Mother in-law, oh yes ladies and gentlemen another crafty person in the family, there is no stopping us!