Since my last creation I decided to make another dress from a pattern I have used previously, with added design modifications of my own (check me out). The pattern is Simplicity K2146 inspired by Project Runway (another freebie from Sew Magazine). Like other patterns in this range it has a few different variations of the dress and little add-ons to boot. I basically used the pattern pieces for the shape and sizing and that was all. The fabric came from Abakhan Fabrics once again, when I was on yet another little shopping spree in Manchester.
The construction on the whole was fairly basic, I wanted to keep the design simple but make the dress bold with colour and style. Once cut out I put the pattern away and made the dress on my own instruction (what was I thinking listening to myself?!). The front panels with the gorgeous princess seams were sewn together first, then I attached the side sections to be back. I then made the tab, I must let you all know at this stage of the process I had another visit to Manchester and just happened to stroll past the Hugo Boss shop and was promptly stopped in my tracks when I saw a dress in the window with a rather large price tag on it that wasn’t a million miles away from mine in design, at this point I was toying with the colour variation on the tab, in the end I decided to stick with my original choice.
The whole process (excluding the tab) had to be done a second time for the lining, (did I mention that the pattern doesn’t call for the dress to be lined, but I chose to line mine?) I attached the lining via the neckline, right sides together and topstitched the inside.
Then came the biggest design change of all, the back centre, which I created using a button finish. This of course eliminated the back zip, centre seam and the vent. I stitched both left and right centre seams to the lining using the 5/8th allowance, which made the dress into a pocket. Then came the sleeves, oh yes indeedy, how I love set-in sleeves and these were no exception with an absolutely unforgivable first attempt but as usual I got there in the end.
Finally eleven buttonholes and buttons were put in place to finish off the back. As the weeks have passed and Autumn is now upon us I didn’t think I would get the opportunity to wear my dress just yet but the weather has been glorious this weekend and my daughter told me I looked so nice in my dress I should wear it today on my mooch about town, so that’s exactly what I did.