I just adore the peplum dresses and tops that are in fashion once again. It all started in the 19th century and was at the height of fashion in the 1940s and again many times over the years that have followed. I am so pleased to experience these divine garments now they have made another comeback this century, even more pleased to be able to make my own (I wouldn’t have been able to say that a couple of years ago). There are so many lovely patterns available this season, I chose Simplicity 1699 from sewing-online, it comes complete with jacket, a dress, blouse and trousers.
As I mentioned in my previous post I felt the need to make something simple this time but just as exciting all the same, I find myself getting giddy at each stage of the process these days, irrelevant of what I am making. On this occasion I decided to make the blouse and trousers, the fabrics are a heavy weight chemise with a cotton collar on the blouse and dark cream medium weight linen for the trousers from Abakhan Fabrics store in Manchester. I have to say light colours only come out with me in the summer and even then they can make me feel nervous.
The construction of the blouse began with the princess seams and back darts followed by the raglan sleeves, (I was practically doing cartwheels when I put the sleeves in they were so easy, I almost unpicked them just so I could put them in a second time!) I then attached the collar, I went in my own direction next rather than following the pattern by attaching the peplum skirt. I then inserted the concealed zip before adding the neckline; I inserted the zip first because I find it gives a neater finish at the top where it closes. Last but not least the hem and voila another job done and dusted. A lovely little summer top that can, in my opinion be dressed up or down depending on the occasion. The one thing I would mention is the sizing is quite small.
Moving on to the trousers, these particular ones are extremely easy to make. The construction was, in its entirety, as follows: inside leg seams, crotch, side seams and zip (I inserted a concealed zip instead of a side one) and some twill tape on the waist. Again I chose a slight variation to the pattern and decided to put a facing on the waist, (made from the same cotton as the collar), which was much more comfortable. Now these were quite the opposite to the blouse and were rather large, so needed some adjustment.
There we have it, a couple of lovely garments for summer, for a fraction of the price I would pay on the high street. I have also decided to make the jacket, (there is so much on this pattern I can’t help myself) the material is all ready and waiting but I will blog that another time.
You look so elegant & summery!
Thanks Angela, I loved the outfit by once it was finished 🙂
Beautiful! I just bought this pattern since your peplum top looks so wonderful — I’ve been trying to decide which peplum pattern was the right one for me 🙂 I’m in awe of people who attempt trousers…
Thank you, it is a lovely pattern, the trousers were very easy to do, even so I added my own variation just for comfort. I have also made the jacket, I blogged about that separately. Good luck. I would love to see it when you’ve finished 🙂