The garment of many tucks

Neckline

Front neckline with many tucks to create the shape

Front ViewThis garment is from the Butterick B5354 pattern, another easy top to make. the shape is created by the many tucks along the neckline.  The fabric is a medium weight polyester jersey, which was quite easy to sew for a change, previous stretchy fabrics I have dealt with have tended to have a mind of their own.

Once again the biggest difficulty I came across was the sleeves, another variation I haven’t had the pleasure of meeting previously, no gathering this time, the sleeves are attached to the armhole as a flat piece of fabric and the seam is sewn and attached to the garment last, I did have more sleeve than armhole for some reason, this could have been due to the give on the fabric.

The pattern suggests two different lengths, I chose the longer version, it also has long sleeves or no sleeves, another top I can wear for the day job.

I have given myself a bit of a challenge for my next project, as recent ones have been quick and relatively easy to finish, I suspect I won’t be posting on here for quite a while!

Advertisements

Matching the stripes

Front RightThis top is a clear example of how much of a novice I still am when it comes to sewing. I chose the fabric based on the colours and the pattern; it caught my eye basically. However, I first decided to make a different top out of it, which required the pattern to be placed on the diagonal on a single piece of fabric, after much head scratching it dawned on me that the particular pattern wasn’t suitable for obvious stripes and so it became that I made the Simplicity pattern 2364 again. I do love this top and now I have two. I made this one quite quickly and without any fuss as the teething problems were sorted out on the previous version, once the stripes were matched when I was cutting out it was a matter of making sure they came together when sewing it. This one seems slightly bigger but the fabric has much more stretch than the previous one and isn’t quite as stiff, this is obvious by how the neck falls. I am nearing the end of my relationship with knitted fabrics for the moment, maybe just one or two more………Front Left

All about pink

Front RightWhat can I say, I don’t really need to say anything about the garment, as I have mentioned it previously in an earlier post. Left Front The fabric is a polyester jersey, to give added stretch and ensure the perfect fit.

Again, I was delighted when my daughter asked me to make something for her. I was told what colour to choose and it had to be off the shoulder without a strap (teenagers know exactly what they want these days).

A couple of hours later, the result: a pink, cheeky little number with a total cost £3.5o and a satisfied daughter, a good day all in all 🙂

Front Centre

A summer evening in the garden

Front ViewI decided due to the nice weather today I would venture into the garden to take pictures of my latest creation and do a full head shot too, I am being brave. This top is from the Butterick B4132 pattern. The material is a lightweight knitted viscose, perfect for the lovely weather. Continuing my quest to try anything that stretches and doesn’t need a zip, this one again is along a similar line as previous tops I have made recently. They all have facings on the inside to reinforce the neckline which produces a layered effect. BUT they all have their own little differences which continue to take me by surprise. SleeveIn this case it was the sleeves – oh how I loved inserting these sleeves (I know I have mentioned before but gathered sleeves are a bugbear of mine). Anyway I digress, these sleeves fitted the armhole beautifully, although I was a bit dubious when I first saw them. Sleeves in, time to relax – no – the underarms still needed sewing to the facing, lots of fiddling, and scratching of the head ensued but I got there in the end – I think, who knows, they look ok, so I’m going with it!