Introducing my gorgeous daughter to the world of sewing

Side imageBaby doll top number two.

My daughter helped me with the fitting on the first top I made last week and expressed an interest in having one herself.  Buying clothes for a teenager is something I would no longer contemplate, having seen many items of clothing disappear into the bedroom never to be seen again. So it was a joyful and extremely proud moment to be asked to make her something, if it will be seen again is anotheFull front imager matter…..

Advertisements

Something for the holidays

Baby Doll Top frontThis is the first project I have created from my book titled 101 great ways to sew a metre of fabric. It is the first item of clothing I have made for somebody else, although it was easy to make it was nerve-racking making sure I got it just right, thankfully my Sister in-law was thrilled with it 🙂

The bodice pattern piece was supplied and the dimensions were given for the skirt. The book suggests using bias tape for the edging and the straps (just to increase my love for bias tape), I decided to use the same colour as one of the flowers on the material, rather than beige or cream just to mix it up a bit. The skirt has a casing through the centre for the elastic, which can be adjusted to suit.

It was so simple to make, just one or two tweaks depending on who you are making it for and away you go. Ideal for a summer nightie, or an everyday top with a classic pair of jeans.

My daughter loves it so much she wants me to make her one too, watch this space…..

Project Runway version two

Concealed zipProject Runway DressThis is the second dress I have made from the Simplicity Project Runway pattern K2588. I decided to choose the scoop neck without sleeves, again I used bias tape rather than facings. I also chose the flared skirt rather than the fitted one and this time it worked 🙂

The front has four pleats in the skirt and comprises of separate sections on the top to create the shape. The back also has four pleats in the skirt and two darts in the top. I put in a concealed zip (finally after matching 3 separate seams down the back, it took me a few attempts!) I finished the neckline after the zip was put in so ensure a neater finish on the inside.

Something for the day job

I decided to make something  I could wear for work.  The pattern Lisette 2059 came with a magazine, I found the material in a local shop for £3.  The garment in the pattern had long sleeves but I chose to put shorter sleeves on this one as the warmer weather is upon us. The front is plain with a coupBlouse Frontle of darts, the back is in four pieces with gathers running horizontally across the centre.Back View  The cut is bigger than I would normally wear and I took it in 1″ smaller than the pattern size too.