I will be taking a break from my shift dress for a short time to concentrate on some serious cutting out. I have got various new projects in mind including a black lined skirt for work (made from material left over from my dress), a nice linen summer dress. Then perhaps moving on to a tailored suit jacket, plenty to consider and think about…..
I’m currently working my way through making my red and black shift dress, having butchered my pattern pieces in order to create the two colour block effect. Shoulders are sewn, now the lining needs to be sewn into the dress, then the fun starts……
This is the first top I have made out of knitted material. The pattern is New Look 6940, which comprises a few different tops. I really liked look of this version and decided to give it ago first. Oh boy what a struggle that was, the fabric had a mind of its own stretching and slipping and sliding all over the place, it came as quite a shock after using such well behaved fabric in the past.
The top itself is in three parts with a twist on the top half, which is constructed by pushing one side of the top half through the other and sewing centre seams to keep everything in place. The back is in two parts with a vertical centre seam, I decided to use bias tape on the neckline for a neat professional finish.
I was really pleased with the result although the neckline is slightly too low for me so I had to put a stitch in to take it up slightly.
I made these trousers full length, high waist, wide leg and didn’t like them at all. So decided to have a rethink and they then turned into low-rise, three-quarter length fitted trousers, I like them much more like this.